We’re excited to announce the results of our first global Ning Appathon!
Submissions for our weeklong competition were judged by Wired Editor-in-chief and DIY Drones Network Creator Chris Anderson, Ning Chairman and Co-founder Marc Andreessen, and blogger and Managing Director of building43 Robert Scoble. The competition began on Nov. 5 with all submissions due on Nov. 12. The entrants were judged on creativity, usability, how well they integrate with Ning Networks, viral features, and usefulness.
“Developing on the Ning Platform allows us to create apps that can reach hundreds — to hundreds of thousands — of members across a single Ning Network instantly, something we can’t find on any other platform,” said Edwin Khodabakchian, developer of the winning app, Feedly Magazines. “With our Ning App, Network Creators can curate and compile their own magazine with content unique to the topic of their Ning Network and interests of their members.”
In addition to the two winning submissions, the judges also picked four finalists for recognition. The developers of two finalist original Ning Apps and two finalist ported Ning Apps each received $500.
Here’s the full breakdown:
Best Original Ning App
- Feedly Magazines to add a custom magazine application (winner)
- Snipi to enable sharing of favorite content from the Web (finalist)
- Listings to post classified ads, developed by Apps.IO (finalist)
Best Ported Ning App
- Sharendipity to make custom web applications and widgets (winner)
- NutshellMail to create daily digests of emails from a Ning Network (finalist)
- Ortist to share drawings and creations through a graphical scrapbook (finalist)
Along with the winning Ning Apps (which will soon be added to the Ning Apps directory), two additional Ning Apps that we’ve been working on in-house are now ready for install, Opinion and Top Friends. The Opinion Ning App allows Network Creators to pose a question to members and then view their responses in a tag cloud or list. With the Top Friends Ning App, members can list and organize their top friends on a given Ning Network.