If you’ve created a Facebook Sign In app for your Ning Network but your members are unable to sign up or sign in, it may be that either the app’s settings need to be adjusted, or that the same app is being used for both the Facebook Sign In and Facebook Sharing functions on the network.
Here are some possible symptoms you might run into if your Facebook Sign In app isn’t configured correctly:
- Saving your Facebook Sign In app on the network throws an error message
- Clicking on the “Facebook” button to sign in or sign up does nothing or causes the page to refresh
- Clicking on the “Facebook” button to sign in or sign up throws one of these error messages:
To make sure the issue you’re encountering isn’t due to using the same app for Facebook Sign In and Facebook Sharing on your network, please do the following:
- Go to your network dashboard and click on the “Sign up / Sign in” link under the Members section.
- Click on “Details” next to Facebook.
- Note the App ID you see there.
- Then go to the Facebook Integration page, found in your Tools section of the dashboard.
- Hover your mouse over where it says “Edit or delete your Facebook App”.
- Note the App ID that displays in the status bar at the bottom of the browser.
If the App IDs in both locations match, that means you are using the same application for both functions on your network. You’ll want to create a separate app for Facebook Sign In to work.To do that, first go to My Network > Members > Sign up / Sign in and click on the “Details” link next to Facebook. Clear out the content provided for the App ID and App Secret. Save your changes. Then check one of the boxes next to Facebook and you’ll be prompted to create a new Facebook app. Follow the instructions you see in our Enable Social Sign In with Facebook article.
If the App IDs for both apps differ, it could be that information provided in the app needs to edited. To make sure your Facebook Sign In app is filled in correctly, please note the following fields are all that should have information supplied on your Facebook app’s settings page:
Display Name: This is the name you see in the App Details window that pops up in your Sign up / Sign in management page.
Contact Email: This field is auto-populated with your Facebook account’s email address.
Website with Facebook Login:
Site URL: This is where you enter your Ning subdomain in the following format (the subdomain is the examplenetwork part of examplenetwork.ning.com):
Everything else should be left blank on the page. If there are other fields filled out, you can try clearing them out and saving your changes.
If tweaking your existing app doesn’t fix the issue, delete your app and create a new one. To do that, click on the “Delete App” button on the settings page shown above.
This will delete your Facebook App entirely. To create a new Facebook Sign In app, see: Enable Social Sign In with Facebook.