Now in Full Color: Restaurant Reviews and Restaurant Reviews with Maps!Your Ning Network
Jonathan Aquino has updated both the Restaurant Reviews and the Restaurant Reviews with Maps Example Apps so when you clone these apps, you can choose from an assortment of different header colors with a click of a button!
So, if you get bored of burgundy or feel that Kelly Green is more appropriate for Vegetarian Restaurants in London, clone the new versions of Restaurant Reviews or Restaurant Reviews with Maps, click on the Color Scheme tab in the Navigation Bar, and change your header color on a whim. You may have to refresh the page to see the changes and the colors may not be exact in some cases, but, if you power through, your midnight blue header will be waiting for you on the other side.
If you’ve already cloned Restaurant Reviews or Restaurant Reviews with Maps and want to add the Color Scheme Chooser to your cloned app, you can do it in a few quick steps (I broke them out for greater detail and clarity, but this took me about 2 minutes and wasn’t too scary. The link to the only code you need is here):
- Visit Restaurant Reviews or Restaurant Reviews with Maps and click on the View Source link on the Ning Sidebar.
- In View Source (or the File System), look about halfway down the page in the “App Code” section. Find the file “colorSchemeChooser.php”.
- Open the file “colorSchemeChooser.php” and copy that code.
- Go to your cloned version of Restaurant Reviews or Restaurant Reviews with Maps and click on the Edit Source link on the Ning Sidebar (you can also go to the App Manager and click on your app).
- In the “App Code” section, look to the right where it says “Create file” and click on that.
- Title the new file you are creating “colorSchemeChooser.php.” Paste the code in the text box. Save the file and return to your app.
You should now see a link to Change Color Scheme under the Header on the left hand side of the page. Click on that link and choose away…
We’ll be updating all of our Ning Example Apps over the weekend to include the Color Scheme Chooser. Additionally, we’ll be rolling out improvements to the process by which you can new features to your cloned apps here shortly.
If you need any help with this, please don’t hesitate to ask.