Tony Idem’s community sends out regular shout outs to members who submit videos — both on Ning and on other social-sharing outlets. Visit Blacktree TV.
Corentin Villemeur knows that ThisIs50 community members love to be recognized by their high-profile site’s namesake — so he makes sure to develop those relationships. Visit ThisIs50.
Manny Hernandez indulges as many ideas as his community has for new content ideas. Some succeed; some don’t — but everyone ends up happy. Visit TuDiabetes.
Here’s a secret that most successful Network Creators have learned: The easiest way to get a member to contribute content is make them a star of your Ning Network. It’s simple – just feature member videos, photos and blog posts on the Main Page, showing your members that you care about their opinions and efforts. Once a member has been featured, they’ll be excited, and you’ll be guaranteed to see more content from them. Other members will want to become stars and will begin contributing content.
Featured content will also create interactions between your members. By placing member content front and center on your Ning Network, other members will be more likely to engage around it, forming new relationships with the content creators.
- Highlight top members: WEGO Health chooses one member to prominently feature at the top of their middle column. This featured member not only gets their picture displayed, but also is featured in a spotlighted interview. Placing the Members module on the top of your Ning Network helps drive activity to the Members page, where people can see all current members and seek out their friends.
- Use your leaderboards: Make your members the stars by recognizing the top contributors who show up at the top of your Leaderboards. Give them an incentive to contribute so they end up on this list.
- Participate in the conversation: The simplest way to make members feel like stars is to comment on their videos, photos, blog posts and discussions. Be an active participant in the conversations happening on your Ning Network, like the community manager for Friends Or Enemies does. It will encourage members to contribute more, and it will help you create stronger ties with your members.
- Highlight member search: Jump-start member interaction by helping your members find other members near them or with similar interests. GovLoop puts a “Search Members” graphic in the center of their Main Page.
Don’t do this
- Display too much static content: Featuring your members’ content is important, but if it isn’t recent content, your Ning Network will look stale. Remember to refresh your featured content so there’s always something new to check out.
- Forget to moderate: Engaging your members is important, but you’ll always need good moderation. By promoting your most engaged members to be moderators or administrators, you give them another reason to keep coming back.